Friday, July 11, 2014

We All Have Closets. The Hard Conversations We All Need To Have

Coming out of your closet: Ash Beckham at TEDxBoulder


"I'm going to talk to you tonight about coming out of the closet. And not in the traditional sense, not just the gay closet. I think we all have closets. Your closet maybe telling someone you love her for the first time or telling someone that you're pregnant or telling someone that you have cancer or any of the other hard conversations that we have throughout our lives. All a closet is, is a hard conversation. And although our topics may vary tremendously, the experience of being in and coming out of the closet is universal. It is scary and we hate it and it needs to be done. "

"So like many of us I've lived in a few closets in my life and yeah most often, my walls happens to be rainbow. But inside, in the dark you can't tell what color the walls are, you just know what it feels like to live in a closet. So really, my closet is no different than yours or yours or yours. Sure, I give you a hundred reasons why my closet was harder than coming out of yours but here's the thing, hard is not relative, hard is hard. Who can tell me that explaining to someone that you just declared bankruptcy is harder than telling someone that you just cheated on them. Who can tell me that his coming out story is harder than telling your five year old that you're getting a divorce. There is no harder, there is just hard. We need to stop ranking our hard against everyone else's hard, to make us feel better or worse about our closets and just commiserate on the fact that we all have hard.

At some point in our lives, we all live in closets and they make us feel safe, or at least safer than what lies on the other side of that door. But I am here to tell you, no matter what your walls are made of, a closet is no place for a person to live."





Like to discuss your business?

Lindy Asimus Business Coaching

Subscribe to Actionbites Blog


No comments:

Post a Comment